The Italian Croatian Legion
After the destruction of the "Light Transport Brigade", the Italians sponsored the creation of a new "Legion" unit. It came into existance in May of 1943, only 4 months before the Italian collapse, as a 1,800 man strong Infantry Regiment, reinforced with its own Replacement Battalion and an Artillery Battalion of 2 Batteries. This "Legion" was sent to northern Italy, to the Lake Garda area, and then the Italo-Slovene border area. After the Italian surrender, the men of the Legion were used to reinforce the existing German-Croatian Divisions, especially the 373rd "Tiger" Division.