The Albanian Armed Forces are the military of Albania and were formed after the declaration of independence in 1912.
On 4 December 1912, the Albanian Prime Minister, Ismail Qemali and his government, formed the Albanian National Army. Its first Chief in Command was Lieutenant Colonel Ali Shefqet Shkupi. By 1923, the Albanian Armed Forces fielded 10,691 active troops, including military police forces. At that time, Albania did not have a navy.
In 1927, the Albanian Armed Forces numbered approximately 8,000.
These troops were organized into three groups, based in Tirana, Shkodër to the north and Berat to the south.
Each group was organized into three battalions of 500.
A guards battalion of 350 was organized in Tirana.
Four frontier battalions of mountaineers were held on reserve, as well as tanks and armored cars.
Additionally, a cadet school, a machine-gun school, and a bombing school were housed in the capital.
Italian involvement in the Albanian Armed Forces was significant, with an Italian Colonel attached to each of the three main troop groups and an Italian officer attached to each battalion and battery and to each medical, veterinary, and transportation unit.
Albanian Armed Forces