Aden was a British protectorate and port in the Arabian peninsula. The protectorate which covered 112,000 sq. mi. stretched from the port to the border of Oman. The port was acquired by the British as a coaling station in 1839. It became a crown colony in 1937, having been previously administered from India, and Indian troops recaptured British Somaliland from it in March 1941.